Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Toronto trip day 2

Today proved to be a bit more of a struggle than yesterday. I guess the excitement outweighed any inkling of tiredness cause we were able to go, go, go yesterday. Even though little one slept MUCH better last night and we started off the day with a plan, it felt as though we were trudging through mud.

My wife wasn't feeling any better and took the day to rest and recover a bit from her strep throat. She got very little sleep last night so this morning was difficult. As she stayed in the hotel room trying to take it easy and have her body rest, the girls and I once again took on the city. 

I thought we should head to the CN tower and ride the elevator to the top. I was under the impression that we were relatively close to the tower and decided we should walk... bad idea. I should have gone along with my initial notion which was to get another day pass and take the bus/subway/streetcar because there was a lot of walking. The good thing about our long (very long) walk was that we got to see another area of downtown.














Our hotel is in the Yonge Downtown district which looks very similar to Times Square in NYC. This is always where our journeys start so today I took pictures of the area where we get on and off the subway train.




We walked through the entertainment district which was absolutely gorgeous, so I snapped some pictures there too. There were some sections along the street where people could site and relax on painted adirondack chairs. 







After what seemed like forever we finally made it to our destination, the CN tower. This is the tallest building in North and South America. For our general admission we took a glass elevator ride to the observation deck and the glass floor viewing area. For an additional cost you can go higher but I thought that 1,136 ft. was high enough for us.

Elevator ride

Elevator ride



View from the top


Ahhhhh!

No fear

I have to say that while I'm not afraid of heights I was terrified of the glass floor. My toddler wanted to jump and roll around on the glass and bring me along with her. My teenager was far back from the glass, standing next to the elevator. It's amazing how young kids have no point of reference for fear.

We stayed at the tower for a very short period till it was time to head back to the hotel for little one's nap. Back onto the subway.


Once again my wife was still not up to going out just yet but after her and little one's nap she said she would go out for a bit. In the mean time my teenager and I once again took this time to explore a bit more.

We walked further up the downtown area and headed into the gay neighborhood where we had a quick bit to eat.










We stopped at this nice pub and had some soda (you know I'm on vacation) and some appetizers. I simply had to get a picture of my daughters cream soda because I never saw PINK cream soda before. I'm sure the coloring will stain her insides but it looked pretty. 


For my quick bite I had mac and cheese squares. Did I happen to mention I'm on vacation?


I thought they would be gross but honestly they were really good. I couldn't finish all three though and once we were done we headed back to the hotel.

Thankfully my wife was feeling a bit better. She said she was at about 35% which must mean that she was at around 10% yesterday. We all headed to Old Town to see the St. Lawrence Market. Turns out the market was closed and was actually reopening in its new location on Saturday. But at least we got to see the outside.



Once we realized that there wasn't much for us to do in Old Town we got back on the train, got some dinner and headed back to the hotel to retire for the night.




Another day of fun and exploration under our belt, one more day to go. Tomorrow is our last full day before we head back home. I'm looking forward to our day tomorrow because my wife will be joining us for the entire day and we saved the best stuff for last.

So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment