Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Toronto trip day 1

This is a first! I'm blogging from Toronto, Ontario in Canada! Rather than experience the trip and blog about it later, I figured I would blog at the end of each day so you can live each experience with me. 

We left on Monday and although I was a bit concerned about the travel for the girls, it went pretty well. 



My little one did very well. I just knew she was going to go crazy because she had to be relatively still for over two hours and couldn't run around. But she was fascinated by flying in the plane and there was a television that had some kids shows so she was alright. My oldest was not doing well when it came time to land. She always has ear problems and nothing seems to really help. She was in so much pain that tears were streaming down her face. The only thing that seemed to work was having her drink some juice from her sister's sippy cup. Once We landed and all was finally well. 



Smiles right before a mini breakdown


Waiting for her ears to pop




















Since Monday was all about travel we didn't do much of anything. I did manage to take full advantage of the hotel gym and get some workouts in. 



I did about 50 minutes of weights and 15 minutes of cardio on the stair master. I planned to run early this morning and use the route that the concierge suggested but that didn't work out and you're about to find out why. 

So after a long night with our little one waking up in the middle of the night and not going back to sleep, this morning felt a bit rough. On top of that my wife (who was already starting to feel sick before we left) had such a bad sore throat that she had to go to a walk-in clinic and discovered that she has strep throat. I already planned to explore the city with the girls today since the whole purpose of this trip is tag along with my wife while she attends a work committee meeting. Once we ate breakfast I took the girls out and we started our day.

Let me start by saying that I LOVE exploring a new city. I always try and rent a bike to explore but I wouldn't be able to do that this time since I had the little one. Fortunately for us Toronto has buses, a subway and streetcars to get around. So we started our day taking a streetcar to Chinatown. 
Going to the subway





Chinatown












Never rode a streetcar before
After a short trip through Chinatown we headed to the harbor to see the boats on Lake Ontario. That was a short trip too... really short because I didn't take any pictures when we were there. I figured I'll take some pictures later when we revisit the harbor another day. I did manage to get a good picture of the iconic CN tower while we were down there though.


By this point it was time for little one to take a nap so we headed back to the hotel. I took a couple of pictures of the way back.






















Once we got back to the hotel my wife had already gotten her antibiotics and was finishing up a work call. She was a feeling about one percent better than she was earlier in the day but she needed to take a nap. So my wife and little one got settled in for a nap while my oldest daughter and I headed back out to check out some more of Toronto.

This time in addition to the streetcar we took the subway. We saw a black squirrel. We headed to Queen's Park where Ontario's Legislative building stands and passed through the University of Toronto grounds.

Black squirrel!


Ontario Legislative building

Queen's park



My daughter really wanted to see Greektown so we headed over there. We both have a love for Greek food and she also loves Greek mythology. Maybe she felt that this would be the closest she'll get to the Greek islands. Who knows? But we got a chance to see it.






After our three hour journey around the city we decided to head back to the hotel, hoping that my wife and the little one got a good amount of sleep. Before we went back to the hotel we stopped in this beautiful bookstore that we passed earlier in the day. There's nothing like a good bookstore and while I do enjoy Barnes & Noble I simple love a small quaint store that is unique. After a quick stroll through the store we made our way back to the hotel. 





















To say that I'm tired would be an understatement. I didn't get a chance to run around the city as I had hoped but the walking (and carrying a 30 lb. toddler) certainly made up for it. Even if I don't get a chance to run on the city streets I certainly hope to get some time on the treadmill in the gym which is in front of wall to ceiling windows and overlooks the city. 

Tomorrow I have some more site seeing planned so I need to get to bed and refresh for the next day.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's post!

No comments:

Post a Comment