Saturday, February 7, 2015

Running movie review

img source: tumblr_n9hjyrRGD11qedblno1_1280.jpg

Desert Runners is currently on Netflix

I watch a great deal of documentaries and movies about running and I always want to talk to other runners on their thoughts about what I've watched. Since I don't have a great deal of running buddies and the few that I do have don't always watch what I do, I figured this would be a great opportunity to start posting my reviews on these various movies. The first movie I'm reviewing is called Desert Runners by Jennifer Steinman. 

I must say that the moment I started running and had even a shred of understanding about races and the running community, I knew I wanted to run an ultra marathon. There was something about ultras that just drew me in and I have been working toward running one in the future. So to say that I was excited to watch this movie is an understatement. 


The movie follows four people on their quest to complete what's known as a grand slam in the four desert running series. A grand slam is when a runner completes four desert races in one calendar year. And since we are throwing the word desert around, you know that the conditions that these runners run in are extreme. The deserts that are featured in the movie are the: 



Atacama desert in Chile



Gobi desert in Asia


Sahara desert in Africa

The last desert in Antartica

Oh and did I mention that none of these runners are professionals? Yeah! These are everyday runners like you and me who do some trails and some roads around the areas that they live in. I would even venture to say that these people have not done a great amount of half or full marathons in their running career. Each person wanted to challenge themselves and decided that this was the best way to do it. Kudos! I certainly admire their courage.

Now in the movie you will see the runners breakdown and have moments where they can't make it whether due to injury or sheer mental frailty. That's a given considering the races they're running. You will also see runners ban together to help one another get through some rough patches. Words of encouragement, pats on the back, reflection and even people holding hands just to make sure that they keep moving and get to the next check point were heart warming to see. If you're a fellow runner it won't surprise you to see this. The running community is a tight knit one. We support one another and cheer each other on even when we fell like crap. Runners are truly an amazing group of people.

What you might not expect to see is one of the runners dry heaving during one of the races and unable to keep any food or water down for fifteen hours. The race in the Gobi nearly wipes him out but he is able to finish and prepares for the next race. Unfortunately he doesn't fair any better in the Sahara. The dry heaving comes back and he can't keep any food or water down again. After serious contemplation and many tears he winds up dropping out of the race to go back home and get better. He gets checked by a doctor and gets a clean bill of health which enables him to run in the last race in Antartica.

Another runner, the only female featured in the movie, had a horrible encounter with a local DURING the race in the Sahara. Some local man was running beside her and pulls her into the bushes to assault her. Up until that point she had been running with another person but after the last check point she decided to run alone. She was able to get free and run as fast as she could to the next person who helped her into the aide station. Initially she thinks about dropping out but decides to finish it out.

All in all this movie was inspiring and motivational. Even if you don't want to run an ultra or in the desert, you can come away with a feeling of wanting to accomplish something that you may feel is too difficult.
 I give this movie TWO THUMBS UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment