Sunday, January 4, 2015

There's nothing to resolve


The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines a resolution as: the act of finding an answer or solution to a conflict, problem, etc.

That is exactly why I don't like that word when it comes to the new year. It seems so harsh and cold as if you weren't doing your best the previous year. So rather than say I'm working on resolutions I say I'm working on goals. I could be working on a new goal or working on the same goal, either way it just sounds and feels better.

So now that I expressed my linguistic gripe I will tell you the things that I would like to work on this year. I really want to ride the wave that was 2014 because I feel as though it has set the precedent for many years to come. For this year I'm simply supplementing the things I did last year with an extra kick. But to be more specific I will show them to you in bullet points.


  • Last year I ran a total of 1,275 miles, this year I plan to run 2,000 miles. 
    • My wife and a friend of mine suggested I run 2,015 to commemorate the year. Still debating that one.
  • Run in more races whether for fun or to set some personal records.
  • Run another marathon. 
    • I'm pretty certain that it will be the Space Coast marathon again but we'll see.
  • Run a race outside of my home state.
  • Work on eating less sugar (this will take some time).
  • Make this blog more awesome. 
    • I need to put in some time to really make this blog look more like me and not so generic. 
  • Get my coaching certification. 
    • I decided after the marathon that I wanted to be able to know what I'm talking about when I blog. I would like to build up some clientele and share my love of running with other people. This goal I'm really looking forward to.
  • Meditate more. 
    • I started working on this goal towards to end of last year and I have noticed that when I actually do it I feel so much better. Of course I have to do it more often. 
There are some other goals that I want to attain but I don't plan on really pursuing those until a couple of years down the road, so I won't share them just yet. I'm really excited for this year. This is the first time I didn't rush into a new year thinking I would make a ton of changes that only lasted for a week at the most. A lot of the harder goals have already been in motion (working out, running, eating right, getting sleep) so I don't have to start totally from scratch. I'm simply building on what was already there. So stick around with me and let's see what this year has to offer.

What are your goals for the new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment