Thursday, January 8, 2015

Honk if you hear me

Okay I need to talk about something that has been on my mind for quite some time. Please, please, PLEASE share your thoughts about this because I really need to know different points of view.

What is with the honking when I'm running?!

Runners, I know that you may have experienced this and it's not because you are about to get run over. Have you ever been on a run and found that people are honking at you? What is that all about? And to the people driving, what are you honking about? Is the honk kind of like a fist pump cause I'm running? Do we know each other?

Yesterday I was finishing up my run and as usual someone honked at me. This time I was running with the flow of traffic on the sidewalk and the car was on my right side so I was able to see the silhouette of the driver. All the guy did was put his hand up in the car and wave as if I knew him, then kept on driving. Based on the car I didn't know the person and was perplexed as to why he was waving.

Now there have been many times when I'm running and gentleman (I use that term loosely) will honk their horn and say some derogatory crap to me. I get that. Even though most of the time I'm running with little one in the jogger so someone is trying to "holla" at me with a toddler staring him down which is a bit awkward. Keep your nasty thoughts to yourself. Then there are times when I'm running and a guy honks at me and will give me the creepy man stare. I can even understand that. You wanna honk to get my attention but you don't want to say anything. Alright, at least you aren't saying something stupid but ease up on the bug eyes.

Every so often I get a honk from a lady and those are interesting because the type of women are never the same. I've gotten honks from young ladies who appear to be cheering me on. Honks from older women who have serious looks on their faces. Maybe I'm in their way, or they're alerting me to something. I don't know. Honks from moms (I totally get that!) and honks from grandmas. But mostly when it comes to women who are driving, they really don't pay me any mind. I'm just another pedestrian who is in their way as they try and turn at the intersection.

I could say that the honks are to alert me to some kind of danger that I may encounter. I don't run with headphones on, especially when I have little one, because I want to be aware of my surroundings. Plus I like to hear my breathing and keep a steady pace, music kinda throws me off. By the time someone has honked their horn I most likely am already aware of what lies ahead and have averted disaster. I do get a lot of people who simply don't give a damn about pedestrians and simply honk their horn cause they think I'm in the wrong. Nope, sorry bud, but that white walk sign tells me that I can go and YOU have to wait for me. I'm running so it will only take me two seconds to pass you. Then you can hurry off to another red light and wait there while I will pass you again.

I'm not saying that I don't like warnings, encouragement or a "way to go" every once in a while. And maybe a person has been inspired and thought to themselves If that lady, who seems to be huffing and puffing while pushing a jogger, can run then so can I. That's great! Cool beans! But next time, unless we know each other or I'm about to run into a light post, please don't honk.

No comments:

Post a Comment