Sunday, December 14, 2014

Wellington Holiday run

The past couple of days have been quite busy. Friday my wife and I went to a holiday party thrown by her boss. We had fun and enjoyed some time together while the kids were hanging out with the grandparents. After the party some friends of mine that I haven't seen in a long time were in town teaching a dance class. I thought I would surprise them by showing up to the class. I was so happy to see them but also so tired at the same time. The class didn't start until 9:30pm and I'm usually in bed by then. But I figured time with old friends is a good excuse for missing sleep. Saturday I went shopping for items that I needed for my holiday 5k run today. I had to get a white shirt (one that I could run in), a tutu and some festive, holiday knee high socks. I got all my items and spent the rest of the day relaxing and gearing up for today.

This morning it was freezing by Florida's standards. The past couple of mornings were cool but bearable but this morning the temperature took a dive to 53 degrees. Yeah I know that may not be cold for many of you but for us Floridians, we were freezing. I had my outfit and I was ready to go!


And yes I actually wore the scarf during the run. It was the only thing that helped keep the heat in my body. You can't see it in the picture but in our packet we were given two jingle balls to attach to our outfit. I put mine on on shoes.

Since it was a cold 5k all of my thoughts about how to tackle this race were out the window. I try to have a plan before any run, it doesn't have to be a race. But because I was so cold I wanted to get my body temperature up before I crossed the finish line. As soon as I crossed that start line I was off! Of course two miles in I realized that I did not use my inhaler and prayed that the cold air wouldn't contract my airways. Bad, bad, bad. Fortunately my breathing was good and I didn't have any coughing spells. But from now on I'll carry my inhaler with me wherever I go, just in case.

Before I knew it the race was over! I finished in 25 minutes and placed 4th in my age division!

My bib number was 234, fourth from the top.

This was such a great race and it was so much fun running with my workout friends.



Santa loves us!

No comments:

Post a Comment