Monday, September 29, 2014

From a distance you can see... more miles to go.

This past Saturday was my first 20 mile long distance run. Funny to say that I didn't feel nervous or scared but I didn't. That morning I did my usual routine... with the exception of one thing. In addition to the protein shake that I drink, I also ate one quarter of a bagel which is something that I have never done. Why did I decide to do something new that morning? I have no idea. Even when I gulped down the bagel my inner voice said why did you do that? I shut out that inner voice by telling myself that I would need those extra calories to get through this run.

Two miles into my run I felt some rumbling going on in my belly and I knew that if I didn't make a bathroom stop early on that I would regret it miles down the line. So after a quick bathroom break I felt some relief and got back on the road in a heartbeat. But that relief was short lived and I soon started getting a slight cramp in my side. This was only five miles into my run and I started to doubt the remaining 15 miles. I quickly shifted my thoughts to other random things to get my mind off of the cramp. I shortened my stride so that my legs could turn over quicker, putting less strain on my legs and easing my breathing. Before I started the run I wasn't striving for any sort of goal time, I just wanted to be able to finish. I took a couple of walking breaks and simply focused on the road ahead of me. It seemed as though my plan was working and while the cramp wasn't going away, it wasn't getting worse either.

Then at mile 10 I started getting a cramp in the arch of my right foot. Really!? For the past three to four weeks I've started getting this cramp during all of my long runs. Each time this happens I stop, take my shoe off, massage my foot and keep running. After I did that my mind could not get out of the negative gutter. My arch was still a bit tight and my side stitch was getting worse. Every time I took a bite of my banana or a sip of water from my water bottle the stitch kept getting worse. For about three to four miles I had an internal debate about whether or not I should stop or just power through it.

When I reached my scheduled pit stop for more water I realized that I had a pretty substantial bridge to traverse. The thought of even walking over the bridge sent a cringe through my body. I didn't want to throw in the towel but I also knew that if I didn't do something soon I would be stuck. My wife wasn't going to be home because she had to drop our oldest daughter off at robotics club. So at mile 14 I used my lifeline and asked my wife to pick me up.

The old me would've been upset and disappointed that I didn't finish, even if I had to walk to remaining six miles. But this time I was happy with my effort in even continuing through some difficult pain and vowed to complete the six miles before the day was out. I got home, ate some food, took a rest and regrouped for the second part of my run. At this stage in my marathon training plan, six miles has become a regular distance for me so I was very confident in finishing. I kept my run easy and maintained a manageable but slightly challenging pace. I didn't feel achy or lethargic from my run earlier and before I knew it my six miles was over.

I have about nine weeks left in my plan and for the next five weeks I alternate between 13 and 20 miles for my long run. I even have a 22 mile run thrown in for good measure. All in all there are about three more opportunities for redemption in the 20 mile distance and I know without a doubt I WILL be able to complete them all. The good thing about times like these is that this is all a part of the training process. You try different things, make mistakes and learn from each and every single run. No two runs are the same and there is always something to take away from every mile, every calorie and every good or bad thought that you have. One thing that I have found is that the most important component of any marathon plan is positive thinking. If you start to think you can't do something, then you won't do it. The minute you shift your perspective and think positive thoughts, suddenly things you thought were impossible are now possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment