Friday, September 5, 2014

I understand that men are from Mars and women are from Venus but how did we end up on Mercury?

Living and running in South Florida has many perks. The weather is conducive to running all year round. No worrying about snow or ice in the winter time. It's also completely flat so working on straight-away speed is perfect. If I want to work on "hills" I just run across bridges. However there are some drawbacks and today I was harshly reminded about one of them.

THE HEAT!

I didn't start running until about 9 am this morning which for the past week or so hasn't been a problem. But yesterday and last night it rained and if there's one thing that a Floridian runner knows it's that you will DIE if you run after it rains. The humidity goes through the roof and what the actual temperature is doesn't compare to the heat index which is what it feels like.

I went to the park. It was a beautiful day and as you can see not a fluffy cloud in the sky. All I had to run was a mere 5 miles.
This picture was taken during my first mile. Ahhh... what a beautiful day.


At my halfway point I decided to take a break and douse my face and hat with cold water. The heat was SO stifling that I wanted to see what the temperature was. Then I saw this. 


Do you see how at 10am this morning the humidity was at 65% and the heat index was at 100 degrees!?
SERIOUSLY!?

I kept going but took it easy. I walked when I needed to and drank tons of water. Though my little one wasn't running with me I gave her tons of water too. By the end I was so glad it was over. 


Thank goodness for working air conditioning!

No comments:

Post a Comment