Monday, September 1, 2014

Don't make me hit my wall

Okay ladies and gentleman, for this post I will be addressing some of my grievances about running. Running? Yes running! I have been running consistently for the past year now. I have completed two races and am training for a marathon at the end of November. As I've increased my weekly mileage and run in areas where there are other avid runners like myself, I have noticed some things that have gotten on my nerves. So here goes my list and PLEASE let me know how you feel.

1. If I say good morning/afternoon/evening or wave to you, please acknowledge my existence.
This is my biggest pet peeve. It's only during my long runs that this really gets on my nerves because I run in an area where there are TONS of other runners. During mile 1-6 it doesn't bother me all that much but after mile 7 when oxygen is precious to my body and I need every single breath, the least the other person could do is give a nod or give the hand. But to not even acknowledge my presence or even look down as I pass you is just rude.

2. The sidewalk is like a road for pedestrians. Stay on the right.
I have to admit that when I started running I was all over the place. I ran on the right, left and middle of the sidewalk and would wonder why I got angry stares from the other runners. While I can't say that this is a rule that is etched in stone I do think that it is an unwritten rule to stay on the right. Just like we drive on the right side of the road and enter or exit a building through the right set of doors, so should you run on the right side of the sidewalk. Simple.

3. Hey bikers and car drivers, WE have the right of way.
Okay, this is a bit touchy because I know that there are a lot of runners and walkers who DO NOT obey street rules. Many runners don't cross the street at a cross walk or have no regard for oncoming traffic. But just because some are bad doesn't mean that all of us are. I use cross walks unless I am on a small road with very little traffic. I wait for the walk sign when I'm at the intersection and I ALWAYS acknowledge a car driver or bike rider for allowing me to cross a street. I mean they could just run me over and that would be the end of it. The least I can do is thank them for not ending my life.

4. Headphones are fine just make sure you can still hear what's going on around you.
Every once in a while I like to get lost in my runs and listen to some music. Maybe I had a bad day or maybe I need an extra push to get through a long run. Either way I make sure to have my music down low enough so I can hear what's going on around me. I would like to think that other runners do the same thing but... oh wishful thinking. Yes rock out to some Nirvana or kick up that pace with some Beyonce but please remember that you are not on this planet by yourself. You will have to maneuver around others and if you can't hear me when I say excuse me, then you need to turn your music down.

Those are my gripes about running. Leave me some comments to let me know what you think and/or share some of your running issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment