Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The customer is always right. Wait, did I say customer? I meant wife.

The more and more I run the more I want to run in different places around the world. I think it would be so cool to do something that I love all over the world and share that love with other people. So why do I not want to combine a race with a vacation? Cause some things have to be separate. On one hand I would really love to have the opportunity to run in one race in every country (or continent) around the world. One the other hand I don't want those races to be a part of family vacations. I know that doesn't make sense but hear me out.

When you plan a family vacation with kids activities and such, the plan is to do things that the kids and adults would enjoy. In my mind this would be a "relaxing" vacation. I know, I know, kids and relaxing cannot be used in the same sentence with vacation but that's what I think about. Our standard family trip was California. We went there a couple of times and really had a great time doing all sorts of activities as a family. Now if I were to add a race somewhere in those vacations I would think that I had lost my mind.

I'm still a race newbie and I'm sure that the more I do races and the more I run longer distances, I'll get used to all the running and my recovery time won't be as long. But for right now all I can see is me running a race while my family is on the side cheering me on, then being so exhausted for two days after that I wouldn't want to do anything let alone move. I mean that's how I feel now when my races are close to home. My wife kind of chuckled at me and told me, "You know we are going to plan a vacation and you will find a race to do during that vacation. It's going to happen. And it doesn't even matter if you don't try and plan a race because you're going to have to run anyway so just don't fight it." What!? I have self control I can save family vacation for the family and race vacations for races.

So when a friend of mine told me about a website called Vacation Races, why did my ears perk up a bit?

Because try as I might I have not be able to resist the urge to plan vacations around one of the races later in the season. Wife is always right.

No comments:

Post a Comment