Monday, March 9, 2015

Start me up... please

Lately I have been really struggling to find the motivation to run which has been a surprise to me. Normally I feel excited or even anxious about a run but at least I feel something. For the past couple of weeks I've had a take it or leave it kind of attitude towards my runs and I couldn't seem to figure out why... until today.

I haven't set any particular goals to work towards. Last year I had my first half marathon at the beginning of the year and my first full marathon at the end of the year. My entire year was training to prepare for both of those race. Plus I had a 5k and 10 miler thrown in to shake things up a bit. I also started working out with my Fit Moms group last year which has also helped in my running. Once I realized that last year was all about doing things to make running more fun and exciting, it was obvious why I haven't been motivated. 

I need to find some goals. I already set in motion one goal to become a coach. I have paid for my tip and signed up with the Road Runners Club of America to attend their weekend course and get my coaching certification. Since I signed up for it a while back I put the trip in the back of my mind. The course is in April and since it is fast approaching I have something very exciting to look forward to. Not to mention the fact that I've never been to Des Moines, Iowa where the convention is being held, so that's nice.


Another goal that I didn't even realize was a goal is running with other people. My friend/trainer told me months ago about the running group that she is a part of and that I should come out and run with them. Well after blowing them off for months I finally decided to meet up for one of their long runs. They meet on Sundays at 6am and run various loops around a quite neighborhood. Initially I thought that there were mostly fast runners in this club based on some of the things that my friend told me. But I was pleasantly surprised to see runners of all speeds coming out and hitting the pavement. This past Sunday when the time change hit, I wasn't even bothered when my alarm went off. I was actually excited to run!

And of course I will be revisiting the Space Coast marathon this year but that race is in November so I won't be training for that in the near future. But there is a possible trip coming up this summer and a trip means an opportunity to run somewhere besides home. Since that is still up in the air I'm not counting that in my goal bank right now but I will keep you posted once I know for sure.

In the grand scheme of things these are only small things that have brightened up my days and made my runs more fun (oh and running without a watch has been pretty invigorating). But hey, anything to keep the spark alive is worth talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment