Saturday, March 7, 2015

Come on baby light my fire

*Disclaimer* The information in this post is based on my own personal opinion and experience.

There are so many fuel options that runners can choose from. Some of the more popular ones that I hear and see are GU and Nuun. Almost all of the races that I have been in offer GU in addition to water and Gatorade for fuel. To be perfectly honest, I haven't tried any of these fueling products because I'm scared to. Not that I've heard any bad stories about bars or gels but I have become so accustomed to eating whole foods during a run that I fear my stomach will protest. 

Since I'm not a GU or bar person, the question that I always get is "Well what DO you eat?" And the answer is fruit. 


Bananas are my number one go to for long runs. I pack about two (unwrapped) in a plastic baggie. Many people know that bananas have potassium which can help reduce muscle cramps but they also have magnesium which is good for your bones and vitamin B6 which helps your muscles and keeps your energy up. Of course they also have a good amount of calories and carbs which you need for long runs.


I can't remember how I found out about dates but once I did it was like finding the fountain of youth. Dates have potassium, carbs and simple sugars and since they are bite-sized, they are easy to carry and eat during a run. The first time I ate them I noticed that I was able to go longer without bonking earlier in my run. Though I took a break from eating them for a while, I recently have brought them back and absolutely love them.


When I decided to become a vegan I needed to find other sources of protein. There are beans and nuts but I was very surprised to learn that one lemon has 4.5% protein in it. When I started running I used to make my own liquid concoction of two lemons with a tablespoon of honey and a teaspoon of salt. When I wanted to have something other than water I would drink this. I had no idea that I was getting a great source of protein as well. 

One day I ran to the grocery store to pick up some thing for dinner. I had my little one in the jogger and decided to pick up some apples for her to eat on the way back home (she loves apples). I also got one for myself to eat. I never ate an apple during a run since it seems a bit complicated. But I decided to try it out anyway. What was crazy was that not too long after eating the apple I felt like I had more energy. Of course I realized that I wouldn't be able to bring a whole apple with me all the time. But my oldest daughter had a great idea. I could make applesauce and put it in a plastic baggie. I already make applesauce so that wasn't going to be difficult at all. I only tried the apple one other time and it was a whole apple, not the applesauce. But I still had the same results that I did the first time.

There are constant debates as to what to eat and not eat during a long run. I'm still on the fence about trying out GU but I won't say that I'll never try them. All I know is that fruit has been working for me and seems to continue to be working for me. I think that if you find something that works for you, stick to it unless your body tells you otherwise. 

What do you refuel with during your long runs?

No comments:

Post a Comment