Sunday, April 6, 2014

And the winner is.....

For this post I am going into full on cheerleader mom mode. My oldest daughter is a part of a robotics team that competes in the FIRST robot challenges. For those of you that don't know what FIRST is (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) it's a an organization that exposes kids of all ages to science and technology through various competitions that are held throughout the country (and the world). In kid speak 
They get to build robots!

Here is a link to their website: http://www.usfirst.org/

When my daughter started the team she knew nothing about robotics and had very little interest in it aside from her Lego Mindstorm projects. This was an opportunity for me to flex my mom muscle and push her into something that I knew she would love. I mean, isn't that the whole point of being a parent? Pushing your kids into things that you know are good for them but they dislike initially. All waiting for the day when the light bulb goes off in their head and they tell you, "Mom you were right!" I'm holding out cause I know that day is fast approaching.

A month ago we competed in the Orlando regionals and won and this weekend was the South Florida regionals which, if we won, would make it to the finals in St. Louis. Obviously if I'm writing this post and telling you all about it then you must know that we won. Hardly a spoiler alert. But I wanted to show you some of the pictures from the competition.

















The pictures don't really do the competition justice. This was so much fun! The energy in the air was infectious and it was easy to get caught up in the action and whimsy of it all. I couldn't tell who was having more fun, the kids or the parents (without a doubt it was the parents). Go to YouTube and search FRC robotics competition 2014. The videos will give you an idea of what goes on.

Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment