Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Late birthday update and reflections

Last Saturday was my birthday. With each passing year I become less and less interested in celebrating. Don't get me wrong, I love my birthday and I am happy that I get to see another year but I really cherish every single day that I wake up. In the weeks leading up to my birthday my family always asks me what I want as a present or what I want to do. Every year I say the same thing, "Nothing". The main thing I want to do on my birthday is relax and just take it easy. Well my birthday (and the entire weekend) didn't go as planned.

My plan for the day was to do some yoga in the morning and run at least six miles. We were expected to have a tropical storm hit us on Sunday and I wasn't sure if I would be able to do my long run. But as usual, my plans got thwarted. On Saturday I woke up to find my oldest daughter on the couch looking not so great. She was sick and vomiting most of the morning so I went to the grocery store to get ingredients for my chicken noodle soup which is the only thing she is able to keep down when she gets sick. I made a HUGE pot of soup so that we could have it for the next couple of days.

I did get a chance to get out of the house for a couple of hours. I met with a friend who wanted to purchase a bracelet that I had made. A couple of days earlier I posted a picture on Facebook showing some bracelets that I made. 


The post was really just to show how proud I was of my new adornments. I didn't expect to actually get orders for them! Within hours I had six people asking me for bracelets. So since Thursday of last week I've been making bracelets and filling orders. :)

Saturday ended with my daughter feeling much better and no longer looking like someone from the Walking Dead. My mother had already cancelled the monthly Sunday dinner we have at her house due to the weather. And with the storm scheduled to hit around Sunday or Monday my running buddies and I decided to play it by ear for our long run on Sunday. But before my alarm went off I heard claps of thunder and the sky looked like it was being lit by strobe lights. We all text each other to say that we would cancel our run. The hilarious thing was that an hour later the weather was absolutely wonderful and it didn't rain for the rest of the day.


Not that I don't think that we need information and need to be prepared for a storm but the forecasters were making it seem like this storm was going to give us some trouble. But as it turns out the weather was no different from any other day during the rainy season in south Florida. 

This year I turned 35 and it feels so good. When I was a little girl I couldn't wait to be thirty and I'm not quite sure why, I just had this sense that thirty meant great things would start happening. Even when I was in my twenties and most women want the clock to slow down, I was still rushing to hit that thirty mark. I started running in my thirties, my youngest daughter was born when I was thirty-two and when I turned thirty-four my oldest daughter became a high school student and is turning into a beautiful and amazing young woman.

I'm not afraid of getting older. With each passing year I become more confident and secure within myself. There's nothing that I can complain about and that's an amazing thing to brag about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment