Thursday, August 20, 2015

Ain't nobody messin' with my clique

Running groups/clubs are a great way for fellow runners to talk, bond and get some miles in at the same time. I never thought I would join a running group but here I am, six months in with one and the benefits have certainly outweighed any disadvantages. What I find so interesting is that even though we are have the common denominator of running, we still seek even more commonality within runners. Just like any other situation where you have a large group of people getting together and meeting on a regular basis, running groups have cliques. 

Merriam-Webster's dictionary defines the word clique as a narrow exclusive circle or group of persons; especially : one held together by common interests, views or purposes. Naturally any group of runners would be considered a clique because we have running in common. But as I have experienced, not only with my running group but many other groups, there are cliques within cliques.

When my running group gets together on Sundays for our long runs, you can see the groups formed in the parking lot before we start. While we all say good morning and have a quick chat with one another, we soon begin to migrate towards our "people". Most of us can float between multiple groups but so often we tend to stay with our troop.
Some of these sub-groups are: 

  1. the fast runners
  2. the slower runners
  3. male runners 40 and up
  4. female runners 40 and up
  5. ethnic runners
  6. runner parents

On the off chance that a large portion of a sub-group didn't show up to a run, the remaining member(s) tend to just float about waiting for the moment we all start our run. I can certainly relate to this. Now that I've found my "people" I don't take the time to really engage with any of the other runners when my sub-group isn't there.

Initially this bothered me and I felt that it was important to mingle with ALL of the runners. Now, when my clique isn't at a run session I just keep to myself. I've become accustomed to our conversations, our silence, and our pace. Inserting myself into another group means that I have to now talk about their topics and run at their pace. Who has time for that? I'd much rather trail behind another group, or pace just ahead of them so that I can either see or hear them and know that they are there. Of course some days I just run by myself. That's when I really don't want to be bothered.

I keep telling myself that it's about the camaraderie and to not shut myself off from talking to other people. And then I say f-- it. There's something so cathartic about telling stories about my toddler when she did something to make me angry and then turn around and make me laugh. Or expressing my emotions about black men and women getting killed and how I fear for my children and my wife. Or laughing about my upbringing and finding a shared experience with a fellow runner. I enjoy these runs in part for the thoughts, ideas and moments I am able to share and it sucks that I can't always feel that when I missing my clique.

No comments:

Post a Comment